Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Palinesque

Notice that lately the news reports has been focusing on the upcoming US presidential election? You should also notice that the focus is shifting away from Barack Obama, or John McCain. Here I give you the woman who stole the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.



I was pretty surprised by McCain's decision to pick her. I thought he would've played it safe and gone with Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani, or even Arnie. But instead he opted for a woman who is practically an outsider. Apparently she's the governor of Alaska. So I thought, okay, this woman probably has the niche, or the glorifying spirit of Hillary Clinton. And she could possibly get the attention of those who are disheartened by Clinton's defeat, and wanted to give another woman a shot.

Boy, oh boy, could I be any more wrong.


Oh don't get me wrong, I love her. I really do. All of the laugh that came out of my mouth in the past 2 weeks mostly came from her prolific speeches and her sarcastic-but-not-so-bright remarks. Moreover, she encouraged the creativity of Saturday Night Live comedians to make one hell of a spoof of her (most notably Tina Fey's skit). I'll stop right here and let her quotes do the job.


"They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." --Sarah Palin, on her foreign policy insights into Russia, ABC News interview, Sept. 11, 2008

"Nucular." --Sarah Palin, mispronouncing the word "nuclear" twice, ABC News interview, Sept. 11, 2008

"Perhaps so." --Sarah Palin, when asked if we may need to go to war with Russia because of the Georgia crisis, ABC News interview, Sept. 11, 2008

"A changing environment will affect Alaska more than any other state, because of our location. I'm not one though who would attribute it to being man-made." --Sarah Palin, dismissing global warming as influenced by human activity, Newsmax interview, Aug. 2008

"I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq." --Sarah Palin, interview with Alaska Business Monthly, March 2007

"I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you." --Sarah Palin, asked by Katie Couric to cite specific examples of how John McCain has pushed for more regulation in his 26 years in the Senate, CBS interview, Sept. 24, 2008

"I'm the mayor, I can do whatever I want until the courts tell me I can't.'" --Sarah Palin, as quoted by former City Council Member Nick Carney, after he raised objections about the $50,000 she spent renovating the mayor's office without approval of the city council




Still not enough? Oh don't worry, i'm saving the best for last:

"As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?" --Sarah Palin, interview with CNBC's "Kudlow & Co", July 2008

No comments: