Sunday, August 31, 2008

Politic Has Never Been This Great



I don't usually make a political comment, not that i don't have any opinion or anything, but I just don't think what i say will make any difference. And of course, politic isn't really my cup of tea. However, the recent US democratic national convention has made politic a bit more interesting subject. Obama's speech on the convention is pretty much encouraging, and sounded very convincing. I'm not gonna discuss his agenda, but a couple of things that he said actually hits me. If I were an American, I'd be very proud of him.This is what he said:

“It is that promise that has always set this country apart – that through hard work and sacrifice, each of us can pursue our individual dreams but still come together as one American family, to ensure that the next generation can pursue their dreams as well.

“It is why I stand here tonight. Because for two hundred and thirty two years, at each moment when that promise was in jeopardy, ordinary men and women – students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors -- found the courage to keep it alive.

“We meet at one of those defining moments – a moment when our nation is at war, our economy is in turmoil, and the American promise has been threatened once more."

“America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this.”

“This moment – this election – is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive. Because next week, in Minnesota, the same party that brought you two terms of George Bush and Dick Cheney will ask this country for a third. And we are here because we love this country too much to let the next four years look just like the last eight. On November 4th, we must stand up and say: “Eight is enough.”


Pretty neat, isn't it? Another thought that i had is that younger people will tend to put their vote on Democrats. The thing about Democrats is they usually oppose war, violence, promising peace, and support diplomacy rather than go strength to strength with their enemies. These are the kind of things that great presidents of the states like Roosevelt or Kennedy often stressed on their speech. I agree on most of that but sometimes I think Republicans are more willing to go the distance to deal with certain situations. Their actions, in my point of view, are more extreme in some ways, but all of it came from their love of their own country. They'd done stuff that Democrats don't have the guts to do. However, their actions are often unjustifiable, and deeply hurting a lot of people for their own good. I've been having this thought for a while now, that kinda left me pondering. And today, Obama kinda answer my doubt;

“We are the party of Roosevelt. We are the party of Kennedy. So don’t tell me that Democrats won’t defend this country. Don’t tell me that Democrats won’t keep us safe. The Bush-McCain foreign policy has squandered the legacy that generations of Americans -- Democrats and Republicans – have built, and we are to restore that legacy.


“As Commander-in-Chief, I will never hesitate to defend this nation, but I will only send our troops into harm’s way with a clear mission and a sacred commitment to give them the equipment they need in battle and the care and benefits they deserve when they come home.

“I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts. But I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation; poverty and genocide; climate change and disease. And I will restore our moral standing so that America is once more the last, best hope for all who are called to the cause of freedom, who long for lives of peace, and who yearn for a better future.”


My doubts and questions has been answered. Is he really gonna do what he said he's gonna do? Only time will tell. May them (Americans) chose what best for them, and they should also keep in mind that their choice will influence the shape of this world.

Now, the fun part. I just found out that the Democratic Convention is also supported by the performance of a couple of artist, and musician that i really, really like. They are Ben Gibbard, of Death Cab for Cutie, Zooey Deschanel, of She & Him, and Jenny Lewis, of Rilo Kiley. It's not all, Jonathan Rice, Nada Surf, and Cold War Kids also highlighted the convention. Holy shit, this is bigger than Big Day Out! I've been dreaming to watch them perform live, and now they're actually performing TOGETHER on the SAME STAGE? Be still my heart. All it takes is one hell of a presidential candidate with inspiring words. Who thought politics can be this fun?





No comments: